Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Rogue Elephant Terrace Bistro: 6 hours later I’m still reeling from the “This-Too-Shall-Pass” experience!


As a non- carnivore, it DOES become difficult to eat out, mostly because you aren’t spoilt for choices and then also because there are only so many chefs who know a thing or two about veggies without slopping them with a generosity of this or that. The Husband and I tried TRET Bistro tonight and we were nothing short of disillusioned—we would be, especially since Google was replete with recommendations of this place. The ambience was average and unassuming- lots of cheesy water bodies, real & artificial plants and a humble seating arrangement. We’ll hand it to the service though- smiling, attentive and courteous, even though the server could not explain why the pannacotta tasted like feta cheese sans the salt.
The ‘Pannacotta & Fig salad’ is a ‘specialty’ here, though I could not fathom what was so special about being served green lettuce with reduced balsamic vinegar, walnuts and the famed (uh huh) pannacotta? Agreed the portion was huge and the serving of pannacotta generous, but since fresh figs were unavailable in this season (or so said the server), the burden of assuming the legacy of this salad fell onto replacement strawberries.(A 300/- tag for this wishy-washy excuse of a specialty made it somehow more unpalatable).   
The main course of Moroccan stew with couscous didn’t taste awful but when I ordered a Moroccan stew I expected it to have some elements of butternut squash, sweet potato, apricots, and almonds, but most importantly cinnamon (A vital component of Middle Eastern Cooking). So while the dish was Ok, it was nothing short of Chickpeas and exotic vegetables in sweetened tomato puree.
But the real magnum opus in all fairness was actually the bread. Since this restaurant does not serve a complimentary bread basket, we ordered a round of breads. We were told that, “They serve Fresh herbed Panini with olive oil”. Now here’s the fun part, not only was the Panini hard, it was also the same Panini that we get from ‘Bread’s & More’ that retails at most grocery stores a.k.a Spencer’s, Namdhari’s, M. K Ahmed etc. And this, in a “Bistro”- Shame, Shame!
After 30 minutes of exaggerated facial exclamations, the Husband decided to call for the cheque without the dessert– I heaved a sigh of relief!
Definitely not a veggies’ haven, definitely not fine dining and definitely not authentic recipes! The Rogue Elephant Terrace Bistro is mediocre at best, perhaps the Non-Vegetarian fare samples better.
  • Our Order: Nimbu Paani, Nimbu Soda, Bread Basket, Pannacotta & Fig salad, Moroccan Stew with Couscous.
  • Ka-Ching: Not expensive per se, but expensive for the quality of food they dish out.
  • High Five: Service. Keep it Up!
  • Pits: Haven’t I said enough?

4 comments:

  1. Thumbs up woman..waiting for more rants. Loved reading it. Just enough sarcasm for my taste.

    P.S. I hate to break it to you but tagines taste better with chicken or lamb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Prats, but I wasnt contending the couscous accompaniment, but the veracity of the tagine itself. It was as Moroccan as Bangalore is NY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When is the next review coming?

    ReplyDelete